Thursday, August 26, 2010

Progress that Jumps up & Down

In the business world many would say to be successful there needs to be an upward trend of progress in order to show success, but there are some things in life that the downward trend is better at showing success.
My success would be the result of a downward trend; weight loss!
On Wii there are all kinds of graphs and charts. On each exercise there is the top 10 scores and when you beat your own best score or hit the #1 spot it cheers you on and you feel sucessful. There are also charts to see what type of exercises you are doing each day, how long you work in those catagories. There are charts for other things as well but the #1 graph I spend time on is the graph that charts my weight. Oh how badly I want to see it going in a downward trend.
I realize weight loss is a battle of tweeking this or that to be successful and getting into a healthy lifestyle that becomes a natural patten in your life. I am realizing also how much tweeking needs to be done. I think I know and understand exactly what to do yet my graph is not displaying this.
Wii allows you to set goals and a time frame for those goals. I so far have been setting my goals in 2 week increments expecting to lose 3.5 lbs. Wii says I should set it at 2 lbs as that is the healthier thing to do. I don't want to listen because I want more than that! 1lb a week would take me 3 years to hit my target weight...I don't think I can handle waiting that long! So I set goals of 3.5 lbs every 2 weeks, I have yet to be successful. I feel it is a reasonable goal , but I have yet to have a stamp on the 2 week calander that shows success. Hum, I am actually wondering what Wii does to celebrate that with you.
Anyway, I started looking at my weight loss graph, I actually am addicted to my graph! I stare at it as if to manipulate it to read something else. I have had times when I wanted to throw the controller at the TV and yell profanities at it. I have sat and laughed in disbelief. I have wondered if the Wii scale is inaccurate and re weighed myself. It lets you select at the beginning how heavy your cloths might be, I have thought about choosing the heavier just to see 2 lbs difference. I have gotten off the scale frustrated at what I see and run upstairs go to the bathroom and come back and weigh myself again. A little bit of pee doesn't weigh very much by the way, only a few onces. So lying to myself wont help, Wii places it all out on the line for me to see. My own personal trainer.
I have started to look at my graph differently this last week as it has been 1 week since I quit my job to really focus on this task I have before me. My graph has so many up and down lines to it , I am thinking I am drawing a silhoutee picture of the Sawtooth Mountains ( they're in Idaho and very sharp peaks and valley's hence the name sawtooth) My graph jumps up and down all over the place. In the matter of one day I can loose 2 lbs (yippee) and the next couple days gain 3 lbs back- uggh! Up, down, up and down it goes. I get excited, frustrated and discouraged so I found myself staring at the graph wondering what am I doing wrong? Why oh why can't I see a drawing of a downhill ski jump on my graph instead? (without the jump of course- just the downhill)
Well, as I sit and stare at it, I realized something; there is progress sitting there before my eyes to see. I just had to change how I was looking at it. Instead of  focusing on the ups and downs there is a steady progression sloping downward. I can see the valleys progressing downward and the peaks are as well. So My highest mountain peak was reached 3 weeks ago since I started working out on Wii, I had one peak come mighty close. The second highest peaks on mountain ranges do not make the cut there can only be one highest peak. I have one highest peak the rest are smaller in size. My valleys are getting deeper than the ones before.
If you don't understand what I am saying it is this..... I am successful! I have a downward trend of progress happening! On an even clearer picture I can paint for you, I have lost 6 1/2 lbs in the last 20 days! I may not be successful on my 2 week goals so far, but I am heading in a downward succesful pattern to hit the goal! Jumping up and down! Moving and shaking! Did you know that after 25 minutes of exercise, your mood improves, you are less stressed, you have more energy and you will be more motivated to exercise again tomorrow? Get out there and start moving!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, you are awesome! 6.5 pounds is great! Keep it up, you have a whole bunch of people cheering you on. (and your comment about yelling profanities at the Wii made me laugh out loud)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE awesome and I celebrate the victories with you!

    ReplyDelete